College is messy, and while many of us are on different paths, we all go through similar struggles.
And there are a lot of us, especially those of us who are in our second year of college, who sometimes forget that it’s okay to not have everything figured out just yet!
Here are 20 things every 20-year-old wants to hear right now.
1. The mistakes you make do not define you. In fact, they help you grow into who you’re meant to become.
2. There’s nothing wrong with cutting toxic people out of your life. The sooner you do it, the better you will feel. Nothing’s more frustrating than looking back and realizing how much time you wasted on people that didn’t deserve you.
3. Do not sacrifice your own happiness. At the end of the day, the only person whose happiness you can control is your own — and that’s the most important of all.
4. It’s okay to experiment. How else can you find out what you like and dislike?
5. There will always be a way to get what you want, without hurting others.
6. Working your butt off will pay off. The only way to guarantee you’ll succeed is by putting in the time which will reward you in so many ways — just wait.
7. It’s okay to blow off steam and relax. Don’t worry too much about constantly putting work first; it’s okay to make time for new friends and silly nights filled with karaoke once in a while.
8. Remember what you came here to do. Whether it’s to get a degree, build a career for yourself, learn new things or create lasting memories, make whatever it is your main priority.
9. If you still don’t know what you want to major in, it’s totally fine! I’m about to be a junior in college and I still have my days where I have no idea if this is it.
10. There’s nothing wrong with feeling lost. This period of your lives are filled with so many opportunities and experiences that it’d be crazy not to feel lost every now and again.
11. You’re entitled to your feelings and opinions. Do not let anyone make you feel inferior or little because they don’t agree with your views. You are a kick ass person with a mind of your own!
12. Express yourself and all your weirdness! Wear whatever you want, look however you want. You are you, and you can do anything you desire.
13. Don’t worry about “making it”. All you can do is give something everything you’ve got. That’s all really any of us can do.
14. Your life does not need to be perfect, and neither do you. We’re all struggling, growing and learning new things every day.
15. Do what you love. I know this is super cliché, but this is your life and you are in control.
16. Find out who you really are, and run with it! Embrace all the odd, awesome parts of yourself you didn’t pay attention to before.
17. You have the ambition and ability to do whatever it is in life you want. Never feel like you can’t do whatever it is you want to do.
18. You ARE good enough. There is no one else like you, and you are doing your best with what you have, like all of us.
19. It’s okay to have different preferences. Some of us like to party and have casual sex and explore ourselves and our identities, and some of us like to stay in and read books until our eyelids droop down. Don’t ever feel guilty for liking different things.
20. You are never alone. There will probably be many times when you feel that way, but we’re all right there with you.